Personal Injury Claims in New Jersey
At Davis & Brusca, LLC, we are committed to securing justice for those who have been harmed by the negligent and reckless actions of others. We have extensive knowledge and insight into the way in which serious personal injuries and elder abuse impact the lives of victims and their families. We are fiercely loyal to our clients. We are tenacious. We are dedicated. And we are deeply committed to achieving justice, and restoring balance to our client’s lives.
We concentrate our practice on the following areas of law:
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) more than 500,000 seniors suffer from abuse or neglect every year. It happens every day in nursing homes across the country.
A high degree of trust is placed in the caregivers of our elderly loved ones. People are not in nursing homes and assisted living because they want to be there, they go because they need to be there.
However, at times the corporations paid to hire and train staff to provide care and basic services fail. These failures many times are not “mistakes.” Often, corporations prioritize profit over quality care by understaffing facilities with poorly paid and inadequately trained staff. These companies know that understaffing will result in injuries, as many studies show a direct connection between staffing levels and quality of care. In fact, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the agency that develops regulations for nursing homes, specifically looks at staffing levels for this reason.
Many families see understaffing quickly. They notice things like:
- No one comes when the call bell is pushed;
- An aide responds to the call bell, turns it off, says they’ll return doesn’t;
- Staff tell them, “We’re short-staffed today”;
- They find a tray of uneaten cold food in their parent’s room;
- Mom or dad still isn’t dressed at noon;
- Their loved one is left in dirty undergarments;
- No one at the nurse’s station
- When they need help, they have to constantly go looking for someone
This understaffing can have lethal consequences. Because there are not enough people, residents aren’t supervised or cared for well. Workers have poor morale and don’t work well. This leads to many fatal injuries, including:
- Bed sores – also called pressure wounds or pressure injuries
- Falls leading to smashed bones and brain bleeds
- Physical and sexual abuse
- Undiagnosed infections
Few things in life are more devastating and disruptive than the serious personal injury to a person or family member. Individuals who have suffered an injury to their body, mind, or emotional state due to the careless, negligent, or reckless conduct of another may file a personal injury lawsuit seeking damages to restore balance for the harms and losses they have incurred. At Davis & Brusca, LLC, we handle all types of personal injury claims, with an emphasis on:
- Bicycle Accidents: Bicyclists are particularly vulnerable on the road. Like pedestrians, their body is exposed, which can make even the slowest moving collision with an automobile, pedestrian, or other bicycle catastrophic.
- Car Accidents: Motor vehicle accidents are the most common source of serious injury in modern life. Given the frequency with which we use and encounter cars, it is easy to forget just how dangerous they can be if not used with great care. If you have been in a car accident, we can help determine the cause of your accident, and bring the responsible parties to justice. We have extensive experience analyzing accident scenes, cell phone records, and questioning witnesses to determine what went wrong and help you prove it in court.
- Construction Site Accidents: Construction workers are a great risk when contractors fail to follow safety rules. Failure to cover floor openings, failure to properly install and maintain railings, fall protection and similar safety protocols can be deadly or otherwise result in life-changing injury. If you or a loved one has been injured on a construction site, the experienced injury lawyers at Davis & Brusca, LLC can help.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Motorcyclists are especially vulnerable to severe injury in the event of an accident. We have a successful track record of litigating wrongful death and severe injury claims, and understand the special circumstances motorcyclists face on the roadways.
- Pedestrian Accidents: New Jersey is amongst the most dangerous states in the country for pedestrians. You need an advocate with extensive experience to secure a just result. We can help you recover the compensation you need to get your life back on the right track.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Slips and falls often have devastating effects on the lives of the injured person. Property owners have a legal duty to keep their property reasonably safe. When they don’t, count on us to answer your questions and assist you with your legal claim.
- Truck & Bus Accidents: Tractor trailers and buses often cause severe injuries. These massive vehicles can cause unparalled devastation, and frequently arise from careless corporate actions which place profits over people. Poor training and driver selection practices, failure to follow safety rules and regulations and similar unsafe practices cause horrific accidents and injuries with lifelong effects.